Saturday, January 3, 2015

Tilting at Windmills


Driving home on a typically gray winter's day, I was feeling a little pessimistic and frustrated.  I can make money at a market or an exhibition, but all of it goes right back in: buying canvases or ordering new prints.  It almost feels like you're working so that you can work.

It feels a bit like tilting at windmills.

I am selling at art markets and sending pieces off to exhibitions.  I am hanging pieces in galleries.  I am networking with other artists.  I am busy trying to connect and to build, but art isn't a straight staircase up.  There is no tangible ladder to climb.

Most days I feel hopeful and optimistic.  I am buoyed up by my little successes and enjoying the ride.  I am making art and sharing it and I love that.

Other days, I am precisely like this little girl on her goat steed.  


No comments:

Post a Comment