Friday, January 2, 2015

Looking to 2015

2014 was an amazing year.  For me, it was a year of change and growth.  It was a year where I learned that the future was full of potentialities.   The forties are not the end of the road.  New beginnings are always possible.

Career wise, 2014 changed me in so many ways.  I took a marketing class offered through the Arts Council of Greater Baton Rouge with a vague hope of learning about the best hashtags to use and the optimal times to post on social media.  I didn't learn any of that, but I came away with some wonderful new friends and connections.

I also learned that my art has more potential than I ever would have dreamed possible.  I starting with graphic design a few years ago and my imagery seemed to just evolve more and more towards the surreal.  It was something I did for fun, almost compulsively.  I still never dreamed that I might be able to hang it in galleries, or even make a living from it.

Emboldened by the class, I discovered that, in fact, my art was judged good enough to hang in galleries, to be accepted into juried exhibitions, and to win awards.

I've even started earning some money with my work although I am a long way from being able to make a living.  I am hoping to improve matters in 2015.

Maybe I could participate in a group show, start paving the path toward a solo exhibition.  Who knows?  2015 is filled with endless possibilities.

Personally, I'm still in a state of semi-recovery.  I have gotten out in the world more and more this year.  I've taken classes, made some connections.  I am hopeful about the future.

My children continue to grow, to change, and to flourish.  My oldest two went out into the world of the teenage employed and are performing brilliantly with raises and promotions in just a few short months.  I am beyond proud of their work ethic, positivity, and just sheer competence.  They are so much more level headed and sensible than I was at that age.  Maybe I got something right.

My 11 year old genius has started teaching himself computer animation and programming.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by a child that taught himself to read and spell, but just can't help being bemusedly proud of him.

My baby isn't so much a baby anymore and informed me that I can no longer call him pumpkin as, apparently, it is embarrassing.  Usually, I forget and call him pumpkin anyway.


Now, 2015 is here, with all its fresh sparkle and possibilities..  I am hoping to continue to move forward with my art career.  I am hoping that my children continue to grow and flourish.  

Here is where I should be making resolutions and setting goals.   I have a few.

I want to apply for at least one juried exhibition a month.

I want to participate in a few art markets every month.

I want to create a large piece of work.  I have germs of ideas.  I would love to finish it before the end of the year.

I would love to participate in another group show (if you know of anything , please drop me a line.  :)

I want to blog here at least twice a week.  

I want to tweet and instagram and facebook.

I want to continue with my Spanish duolingo lessons.  

I've taken on new responsibilities with my art association.  I was a little hesitant due to all the time involved and the technical aspects.  I certainly never anticipated the personality conflicts.  People just won't behave, will they?

Still, for the time being, I intend to persevere.  I have ideas and suggestions.  My initial enthusiasm was rather brutally killed, but I am still going to give it a go.

Life is about trying things.  Life is about living.  

If we don't challenge ourselves, at least, we'll have more time to watch tv.  

Happy 2015!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment