Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Marmalade Skies


I think we absorb things in our youth that influence us throughout our lives whether we consciously realize it or not.  

Growing up in my house meant that you would inevitably be exposed to the Beatles.

They were my mother's favorite band.  My younger brother was even named after her favorite (John Lennon). In turn, I named one of my sons after my brother, and by default, also after one of the Beatles.

Since I started taking my work to art markets last year, one of the most frequent comments I've received is that my work looks like something that would be on the cover of a Beatles album.  

I was a little perplexed by this, but ultimately, delighted.

There is just something about the Beatles.

Paul, John, George, John, Ringo, John.

What's not to love?

From the clean cut youthful charm of the early Beatles to the evolving sound as they followed their own roads of spiritual seeking, it's hard not to see why they were the number one band in the world for so many years.

My favorite songs are the ones that appealed to me as a child: "Octopus's Garden", "Yellow Submarine", "Maxwell's Silver Hammer,", and clearly, "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds."

I love the surrealistic nature of the lyrics that contains such a strong visual as well as auditory appeal.

I have an annoying tendency to listen to my favorite song of the moment on repeat for an extended period (something I indulge in only when alone).  I did that with "Lucy" and this picture was a direct result.

It may not reflect the lyrics perfectly, but how captivating is the thought of marmalade skies?


No comments:

Post a Comment